Lepenski Vir - Donji Milanovac
Archaeological site Lepenski vir (Lepen Whirl) was discovered in 1965, on the very coast of the Danube. It is 15km far from Donji Milanovac. That was one of the most significant discoveries of this kind in Serbia. Its culture is about 8000 years old and it represented the unknown for archeologists. It was named after the location where it had been discovered.
There are several key characteristics that make this place distinct from other cultures. Here, people had been living for 2000 years. During that time, they underwent the evolution from hunters and fruit gatherers to an organized social and economic community.
Its residents were the first town planners and builders because they built houses which had a trapezoidal shape in its basis, covered with wooden structure, leaves and wild animals` skin. They possessed a fireplace, a small altar and stone sculptures which represented their divinities. The very sculptures became a distinguishing characteristic of Lepen Whirl throughout the world. In addition to that, they represent the oldest art of this kind in Europe.
Lepenski Vir (Lepen Whirl) is one of the greatest and most significant Mesolithic and Neolithic archeological sites. It is located on the right coast of the Danube in Djerdapska Klisura (The Iron Gates). This locality, which was named after the Danube whirl, was the center of one of the most important and most complex cultures of pre-history.
During the excavation, seven successive settlements and 136 objects ( both housing and sacral) were discovered. They were built in the period from 6500 to 5500 BC.
Lepenski Vir visitor center
Working hours :
January: 10,00 - 15,00 h; February: out of service ; March: 9,00 - 17,00 h ; April: 9,00 - 19,00 h , May - August: 9,00 - 20,00 h ; September: 9,00 - 19,00 h ; October: 9,00 - 18,00 h ; November: 9,00 - 17,00 h ; December: 10,00 - 15,00 h
Contact: +381(0)30 501501, 501389, +381(0)62216559
Rajko`s Cave belongs to a group of river caves. The Rajko`s River flows through the cave. After the underground flow, 893m long, it reappears and, at the exit of the cave, it...
The Church of Saint Apostles Peter and Paul was built in the period from 1856 to 1858 by the Serbian government that brought experts and workers from abroad to work in the...